YES! Mold is a necessary part of our traditional curing process and is very similar to mold on cheeses like Brie. Listen to our Co-Owner and Salami Swami, James Forbes, talk about our the aging process of our cured meats and the mold that grows on them!
It’s harmless and safe to eat. The mold is a living organism and it is most commonly white. However, it is variable and can evolve into many colors from bright white to dark green to dark blue. Most importantly, it’s all normal, it’s all part of the traditional meat curing process and it’s all safe to eat. However, sometimes it doesn’t look very nice! The easiest way to get rid of the mold is to peel off the natural casing or wipe off the mold with a damp cloth. Please contact us directly if you ever have any questions about our products.
Click here to watch the video.