North Country Charcuterie FAQs
Is that mold on my salami?
Mold is a necessary part of our traditional curing process and is very similar to mold on cheeses like Brie. It’s harmless and safe to eat. The mold is a living organism and it is most commonly white, sometimes it grows a lot (covering the entire link), while other times it grows very little (just a few specks).
It is variable and can evolve into many colors from bright white to dark green to dark blue. Most importantly, it’s all normal, it’s all part of the traditional meat curing process and it’s all safe to eat. However, sometimes it doesn’t look very nice!
The easiest way to get rid of the mold is to peel off the natural casing or wipe off the mold with a damp cloth. We hope that helps!
Please let us know how you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns.